support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Marcelino Benito of KGUN Tucson joins KHOU 11

KGUN's Marcelino Benito is the second Tucson reporter to be hired in Houston this month

Marcelino Benito
Marcelino Benito
Alert! Houston is being taken over by Tucson reporters who graduated from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.

Earlier, I blogged about Samantha Ptashkin of KVOA joining KPRC. Now it's Marcelino Benito of KGUN 9 On Your Side according to On the Move, but Benito is joining KHOU 11 as a general assignments reporter.

"I will definitely miss KGUN 9 and Tucson," Benito told mikemcguff.com. "I've made lifelong friends here and got a chance to tell amazing stories in Arizona. It all helped me get ready to take this next step. Tucson will always be a very special place for me."

Kidding aside, this is actually a homecoming for Benito since he is originally from Houston.

"There's really no place like home and getting to report in my hometown is a dream come true," Benito told me. "Can't wait to get back to Houston to get started!"

Before KGUN, Benito worked as a weekend anchor/reporter for Fox 11 KMSB in Tucson and a reporter at WLNS in Lansing, Michigan. As mentioned in the lede, Benito graduated from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.

If you know of anymore Tucson reporters heading to Houston, email me.

No word on a start date. Benito tells me he starts at KHOU in mid-February.


(Thanks Taylor)







CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here