support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tim Melton off KTRK abc13 website

Tim Melton's bio is no longer on KTRK abc13's website

UPDATE 9pm
I first broke earlier this evening that Tim Melton was no longer listed as a channel 13 employee on its website.  Now David Barron has contacted the longtime KTRK weekend sports anchor about this development.

“I can do a lot of things, but not everything the job requires,” Melton told the Houston Chronicle. “I still hope to get back on the air. That’s always been my plan. The problem is that you never know how things are going to play out, and while the recovery process has been good, it has taken longer than I would have imagined.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tim Melton
Tim Melton
Original post starts here: Tim Melton has been missing from KTRK abc13 since October 2011. Today, as Bob Allen debuts on KHOU 11, I notice Melton is no longer listed on KTRK's news team bios page.

Rumors about his possible departure have been circulating for months. When I heard today he was no longer on the station's site, I saved a screen capture of it without Melton (his bio page is still online as is his station Facebook page).

Melton broke his silence about the reason for his absence in March 2012 saying:

"Sorry for being out of touch for so long, but I suffered a stroke last October and spent two months at TIRR undergoing rehab. I thank all of you who have expressed your concern as to what caused my absence, but I wanted to wait until I had a good sense of what the future holds before saying anything." READ THE REST

Other than this, Melton has remained fairly quiet. There was some video of him speaking to a group of people at TIRR that did air on the station last July.

Former KVUE sports director Hugh Lewis filled in for Melton a few months followed by 1560 KGOW/Yahoo! Sports Radio's David Nuno who was eventually hired by the ABC owned station full time.

According to his bio, Melton was hired at KTRK in August 1981 for weekend sports. Before that he had been at WCP Cincinnati and WHP in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He has a degree in psychology from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkansas and a Masters Degree in Radio/Television from Memphis State.


CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here