support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ron Oliveira signs off KEYE Austin

Ron Oliveira
Ron Oliveira
Where is Ron Oliveira of KEYE?

Ron Oliveira, the main anchor of KEYE 42 and longtime Austin newsman, is about to leave the Central Texas TV airwaves after more than 34 years in the business.

Austin American-Statesman media guru Gary Dinges reports that Oliveira's contract was not renewed and the anchor's last day is Friday.

“I was informed that the corporate office in Baltimore decided not to renew my contract,” Oliveira told the paper. “No reason was given. It took me by total surprise. I’m heartbroken because I love what I do.”

KEYE is owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Oliveira and KEYE co-anchor Judy Maggio are mainstays of Central Texas TV. Both have worked at KVUE in the past.

Starting off at KGBT Harlingen in 1977, Oliveira made his way to Austin in 1980 where he was the main anchor at KVUE. In 1994, he helped start KNVA in Austin as well as co-own it. He's been at KEYE since 2005.

It seems odd to me so many Texas TV people are leaving in the February sweeps period. In Houston, KHOU sports director Butch Alsandor just announced his departure the same day.

VOTE!: I'm trying to win money for charity from Reliant Energy's Rodeo Roundup...all you have to do is click a button to vote (and you can even do it once a day!) VOTE HERE.

RELATED
- Chikage Windler new KEYE 42 chief meteorologist
- Tania Ortega joins Fox 7 KTBC

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here